Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Roasted Vegetables with Basil and Chick Peas



Well I have a massive food hangover from last weeks festivities. Now it is time to eat healthy and rid myself of those holiday indulgences. After having salads for the last two days I thought it was time to make something a little more decadent. My sister Melissa had made a yummy roasted vegetable dish at a dinner party once and I thought I would take that idea and make it my own. Once again this is a vegan or vegetarian friendly dish that can be served alone, over pasta or with a grilled veggie patty as I did tonight. I also added chick peas for protein but cannellini beans would be delicious with this as well.

Ingredients

2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1/2 cup white onion chopped
8 cloves of garlic halved
3 tomatoes chopped
1 cup broccoli chopped
1 cup asparagus chopped
1 cup basil chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
1 can of chick peas or cannellini beans drained and rinsed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop all vegetable to roughly the same size, about 2 inches thick, so they cook evenly. Cut each garlic clove in half. Arrange all the vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper. Put in the oven for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. After 35 minutes add chick peas or cannellini beans and 1/2 a cup of basil. Put back into the oven for another 10 minutes. Once the vegetables are cooked arrange on a plate with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parmesan cheese if desired.

Yields 4 servings

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Lizard! This sounds delicious and I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete