Friday, March 2, 2012

Eggplant, Tomato and Basil Parmesan Bites


Let me start by saying I made 15 of these little bites and my husband, son and I ate every single one in seconds flat. They were delicious. I love eggplant parmesan but I hate the breading and frying because it is time consuming and not heart healthy. So here is my healthy shortcut. These are great appetizers or you can serve it on top of your favorite pasta and marinara sauce.

Ingredients:

1 medium eggplant peeled and cut to 1/8 inch thick slices
basil leaves (you will need one for each eggplant slice
roma tomato (you will need one slice for each eggplant slice)
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp salt to taste
2 tsp pepper to taste
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet and drizzle 1 tbs olive oil and 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until they turn golden brown. Then take them out and flip each eggplant slice over. Drizzle the other side with the remaining tbs olive oil and tsp of salt and pepper. Sprinkle dried oregano over each slice. Place one tomato on top followed by one basil leaf. Evenly sprinkle over mozzarella cheese and finally parmesan cheese. Put back into the oven for another 15 minutes. Then they are ready to serve.

Yields 12-15 bites

No comments:

Post a Comment