Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas



If you can’t tell by now I really like chickpeas. They are so flavorful and packed with protein. I have made this healthy snack for years. I love to make it when I have guests. Recently I have noticed that roasted chickpeas have become popular so I thought I would share my recipe. My secret for making these treats extra crunchy is to dry them out for 2 hours before you begin roasting. I also roast them low and slow.

Ingredients:

1 15 oz. can of chickpeas drained and rinsed well
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp sugar

Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel or a drying rack and leave for about 2 hours. The chickpeas do not need to be completely dry to start roasting just about half dried out.

After two hours pour chickpeas into a mixing bowl and add olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and sugar. Coat the chickpeas well and pour onto a greased baking sheet. Put into the oven at 300 degrees for about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. Move the chickpeas around every 25 minutes to ensure even roasting. Once they are done baking let them sit on the baking sheet for about ten minutes to cool and then they are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment